Giving you a little view of Japan without leaving your home!

Prayer letters, curious subjects, events, people, customs, and more for you to enjoy and learn.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Why Go To Church?



A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this.. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"

Please pray that our Japanese believers will come to understand that the 'nourishment' they need is here in studying the Word together AND in studying personally as well. Their religious beliefs before becoming a Christian has no regular meetings; no time for encouragement; no prayer times with others;--just single thought prayers after ringing a bell at New Year's or in front of an altar at home. Only death memorials are attended at regular intervals and that isn't for the benefit of the living but the dead! And may American Christians never take their time with others over the Word of God for granted OR neglect it.




When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

1 comment:

Twinmama said...

That is a great point...going to church for our spiritual nourishment. God provides for us in every way, physically AND spiritually. We should be thankful for His provision of EVERYthing we need! Praise the Lord!